Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Kinkaku-ji, Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Hey Everyone!
So the very first place that I visited on my trip, besides the airport, Kyoto Station and such, is Kinkaku-ji better known as the temple of the Golden Pavilion! Technically the area where the Zen Buddhist Temple grounds are was once a villa and dates back to 1397 where it was purchased and then transformed to the present temple complex. The present structure has been there since 1955.
It is also a World Heritage Site!
You will also notice it as one of the main attractions of Japan and especially Kyoto!

This is the main part of the Golden Pavilion Temple of course. 
Photobucket



Lots of people all over come here. It was really busy and it was a week day!

Photobucket Photobucket

Small little fishing pier

Photobucket

Lots of people taking pictures of the Temple...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I was with a guy that happened to be staying at the house with me and we went here together and got asked by many Jr. high students if we could speak English with them. They were very nice and enjoyed talking with us and asked for our signature and where we were from. They then asked for a photograph with us and I got them to take one with my camera. I seamed to have traveled during all the major school trips across the country so always saw tons of Jr. high students.

Photobucket

This was probably the only non-Japanese student that asked me if they could have a picture with me. I said sure and let them use my camera so I would have a copy. I felt like a celebrity haha

Photobucket

Need some charms or postcards?

Photobucket Photobucket

I love reading signs in Japan, I didn't drink tea this time but I ended up doing it a lot later on during my stay...

Photobucket Photobucket

These boys were playing some kind of game I think and when I took the picture the boy in the black had raised his hand and smacked the other boy in the face jokingly. I have no idea what it was about hahaha

Photobucket

This guy appeared to be a school teacher but was having a nice sit waiting for the kids...

Photobucket Photobucket

So cute looking at this little guy putting an incense in there

Photobucket

The entrance leading to the pavilion...

Photobucket


Photobucket

info from Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Wow the celebrity!

    the place doesnt look that crowed from when i visited it, at least you have more time to enjoy the view.

    great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I though that there was quite a few people and was hard to get a picture without a person in it. Still lovely to stop by and check it out. I stayed really close by here so it was a walk there. I loved staying in Northern Kyoto

      Delete