Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Studio Ghibli Museum - Mitaka, Japan

Hey Everyone!
So first post that I am throwing up from my marvelous trip to Japan and back is the museum of Studio Ghibli! I can tell you right off the bat that it is totally worth going to see if you are a fan. You can not take any photographs inside the building as they want to keep the special experience within your heart and keep it that way. It is really a special experience too! Also get your tickets in advance, you can get them at a convenience store like a Lawson or if you are from the United States get them through the JTB and there offices in the States. Check that here.
The official site for the Museum is here as well.
The best way to access the museum is by getting to the station of Mitaka by the JR Chou Line and from there exit the south side/exit and follow the water/stream/creek along the road towards the museum. You will see signs that says how far you are from there! Or just right outside of the station wait where a local bus that is themed liked Studio Ghibli movies where it will take you there at a cost of 300 yen or 500 yen round trip!
I recommend the walk! Cheap and nice!

Photobucket

So I walked to and from the museum which is nice and you get to see the little things! Like this sign!

Photobucket

Here is a local sign pointing the way down the road!

Photobucket




When you leave the station the road will look like this and on the left side of this is the creek or running water and just keep going!

Photobucket

Found it! this is the entrance to the Museum in all of its glory...

Photobucket 

Here is a good example as to why you need to get advance registration of a ticket! You pretty much have to!

Photobucket

When you enter at the first entrance you find yourself at a ticket booth with Mr. Totoro waiting for you

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

the little critters are all piled up

Photobucket

Walk around to the other side and you will see this red clock standing there next to the restrooms where you will proceed forward and enter the museum.

Photobucket

Lots of lush green vegetation, just like a lot of the movies that you have seen in the films

Photobucket Photobucket

I walked around the outside a lot of the building. Since you can not take any photographs inside, this post will only have what I took outside.

Photobucket

The way the building was inside was quite impressive to see. You will love the inside so much and the kid inside will run lose. Lots to see and interesting exhibits. Also beware of the gift shop, you will lose your money because you may want to buy lots!

Photobucket

the museum has there own cafe as well serving so nice foods, I didn't eat as I was on a budget!

Photobucket

Down below is where you can find an old pump where you can pump up water! The kids were having a blast down there.

Photobucket Photobucket 

I love it when ivy and vines grow on the side of buildings like this!
Also another note about the inside of the museum there is the Saturn theater where you will see a short film that is exclusive to the museum and only be seen there. The one I saw had there characters from My Neighbor Tototoro.

Photobucket

A small court yard

Photobucket

Walking from the third level you can get access to the roof where you can get to the Castle in the Sky/Laputa garden. Before you get to the spiral staircase you will find it covered in ivy and also this interesting bronze water pump!

Photobucket Photobucket 

I really love the idea and such of Laputa/ Castle in the Sky. I love the designs of the planes, the robots and everything about it! I would love to see them revisit that world again in a film! It is technically the first film that Studio Ghibli had produced since Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was before the founding of the Studio in 1985

Photobucket 

He stands pretty tall, everyone wants a family portrait with him standing there!

Photobucket

His back has been damaged bu the detail is awesome!

Photobucket

On the other side of the roof garden shows the box sitting there.

Photobucket 

Don't you love the designs of the buildings that are in the film and seam to be brought here for all to enjoy!

Photobucket 

hmm some kitties are looking at us, I love the Cat Returns movie

Photobucket

Neat manhole cover!

Photobucket 

Here is the pump, the kids were nervous when I was taking pictures and ran off

Photobucket

Lots of plants like there should be

Photobucket Photobucket

You will notice a lot of the museum has stained glass for there windows and they are all unique and beautiful to see

Photobucket

Kids cleaning and the nice tiled sick outside

Photobucket

There are flags all around the museum that marks the crest of Studio Ghibli!
Anyone care for some ice cream?

Photobucket Photobucket

I ended up getting a bottle of beer instead before I headed out. I thought that the bottle would be a great souvenir! It's there own special bottle beer bottle!

Photobucket


I hope everyone can get there one day, it is totally worth going. Your ticket is from the negatives of films. Not sure what mine are, they look like clouds on the negatives so no characters to tell. There is a ton of great things inside and worth a visit. Just go and find out and get lost inside your inner child!

EDIT:

Also as your ticket, you get a piece of the film from their movies! I tried to figure what mine was and decided it was of some clouds in the sky or smoke, the person behind me had a character on their's XD

Photobucket

Oh and don't worry there is English in their little guide that you get!

Photobucket
Actually more then just English since they get visitors from all over! You also get a nice map of the inside as well...

Photobucket

This is the bag that I got for my purchase from the store at the museum...

Photobucket

I even grabbed a business card from the store for the heck of it...

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. IM SO JEALLOUS!

    i didnt know about the whole reservation ticket beforehand until well i was in the airport on my way lol.

    that was one of the places I really wanted to visit. well at least ill pretend to be there from your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw D:
      Yea I heard that you needed to get them before hand so I got them through the Japanese travel agency in the US and it cost more but it got me a confirmed day.
      I think you can get them from ticket machines in the Lawson stores maybe? I tried to get some tickets for an exhibit when I was there but it was all sold out anyways.
      It was so much fun! Can't take pictures inside but the inside really gets you lost in the world. I love the design of the place and the outside was great as well!

      Delete