Thursday, June 28, 2012

Storm is Brewing- Outer Banks, North Carolina Day 1

Hey everyone!
So a small little break from the posts from Japan, I had just gotten back from a two night trip down to Nags Head, a town on the Outer Banks, that my family and I go just about every year for the past...well for a long time I guess haha. We have done pretty much everything that you can do down there so that is why we don't really go for a week but for like two nights. Going for a week with someone that hasn't really been there is fun though, especially if you rent a house for the week or a small condo and do some cooking!
Anyways the first day of our trip we drove down there and the sun and temperature was really hot but the wind was like non-existent and the ocean had like no waves. It was really weird because the Outer Banks usually has some rough waters with a strong undertow but for some reason it wasn't there when we got there. Plus the water had a great feel to it and wasn't really cold, and there was nothing in the water! No seaweed, jelly fish or anything floating in it, very surprising.
We did though find out when we left home, Richmond, that there was some really bad weather and when I mean bad I mean like a tornado went through the areas there and did a lot of destroying. Lots of damage and the power was out for a lot of people for a while. I had a friend in my neighborhood to check out my house to see if there was damage because I had heard that someone else had a tree get struck by lightening. Luckily he said that our property looked to be in good shape. We live in the woods, if you have noticed from my photos of home, so the trees really buffer strong winds from knocking them over. Thats the secret!
Anyways enjoy some of the photographs from day 1. I started to use a mix of cameras, my T3i, my old Fujifilm Finepix S1800 and our old Nikn coolpix L3 which is really bad but I think it did ok haha.

Photobucket 


Love my feet in the sand!

Photobucket Photobucket

he is so cool....

Photobucket

Later after a great tasting dinner. I had like three different types of fish with some great sides. so good. anyways we went to Jennette's Pier. It was completed last year and the old pier that was here got destroyed from a hurricane awhile back. this is such a nice pier!!

Photobucket 

Got some fisherman fishing off the pier trying to get some dinner. Of course you have to pay to fish from the pier and it's $12 for a day pass!

Photobucket

You can tell it looks new!

Photobucket 

Not to mention that Dominion Power company put in these great air generators that produce energy! Fun fact, I am about to be a contractor for Dominion Power starting now for a few weeks!

Photobucket 

The sky was lovely and the ocean was great!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

We happened to show up at the pier where there was a 3K race about to start, wish them luck!

Photobucket 

There they go! Man I would love a race in the sand!

Photobucket 

Afterwards from the pier we went down the beach road to a family favorite called the Snow Bird. There is 24+ flavors of soft serve ice cream and they also do food and other treats!

Photobucket

Mango flavor...bottoms up!

Photobucket

As we set there a huge black ominous cloud was rolling in over head. It did not look friendly at all!

Photobucket 

We decided to hope in the car and head back to the hotel to not get caught in the storm...even though the hotel is in that direction

Photobucket

It was only about 7:10pm and the sun sets at 8:30pm roughly but it was so dark and the storm was so rough that we stayed in our hotel room the rest of the night. I feel asleep early haha

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment