Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Kyoto Tower - Kyoto, Japan

Kyoto Tower, by far the tallest structure in Kyoto. I recommend going up to get a great view of all of Kyoto! You can get a great idea of also had large Kyoto Station is and the city in general. It makes Kyoto look small but it is probably bigger in Richmond, Virginia my state capital. It is across the street from Kyoto Station so it is really helpful to know which side of Kyoto Station you are on when you see the tower. Also it helps get your bearings when you are in central Kyoto as to which was is north or south and so forth.
It is an observation deck tower built on a 9 floor building that has shops, restaurants, and a three star hotel. The spire stands 131 meters tall. It was modeled to look like a Japanese candle and was designed to withstand earth quakes and strong typhoon winds. The construction ended in 1964. You will find that many people like it but not a lot of people do. Being that Kyoto is a traditional hub in the country of Japan, this tower and the new glass Kyoto Station is a sore modern thumb sticking out in the city.
I enjoyed it and the station and between the two it is the most modernism you will find in the city and it is central south so there is still a lot of Kyoto out there for people to see.

Kyoto Station across the street.
Photobucket Photobucket
I got my ticket and my guide to the tower!

Photobucket Photobucket

Looking east where to bullet train will take you to Tokyo.

Photobucket

Looking north to where I stayed near the mountains way up there

Photobucket Photobucket

To the southwest areas...

Photobucket 

You can see To-ji Temple where the tallest pagoda in Japan stands...

Photobucket 

Some taxi's waiting outside the station for people needing a ride...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

More Jr. High students getting to Kyoto ready for travel!

Photobucket

Tawawa-chan is the official mascot of Kyoto Tower. they have a cute mascot for everything in Japan!

Photobucket

Some friendly kid themed vending machines next to Tawawa-chan statue

Photobucket
info from Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Wow day time really gives you a different perspective as from night time.

    I just love kyoto, im more a traditionalist than modern of Tokyo. there is so much history and beauty that its overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I got to Tokyo I wanted to return to Kyoto. 11 days was not enough for me. I actually made a last minute trip back on my last days in Japan to Kyoto for someone XD
    I told myself to go back at night but I never got the chance, glad it was a nice day to go when I did.
    Love the traditional Kyoto so much it hurts! haha

    ReplyDelete