Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cliffs of Stony Man Mountain - Shenandoah National Park

Hey Everyone!
So I had gone with my dad one weekend hiking in the mountains and I was happy to find it was a lovely day with blue skies and breath taking clouds floating on by. 
This mountain has the second highest point in Shenandoah National Park offering great views and the hike isn't that bad. I recommend the thru hike if some one can pick you up. Start in the parking lot near Skyland Resort where the trail head for Stony Man Summit is. hike up there and then on the way back go North (it would be a left) on the Appalachian Trail and take it all the way to Little Stony Man Bluffs/Cliffs and then continue on the trail from those cliffs to the parking lot for Little Stony Man Cliffs. I had my dad drive my car and get me after the loop since he couldn't do the entire hike.
This is one of the two mountains that reach over 4,000 feet in the park, and the vistas that you can reach offer rock cliffs that you can stand on free of trees for perfect panoramic views. 

Fantastic skies, must go on a non-hazy day!

Photobucket Photobucket 
Met two nice guys up there and we talked about our travels to Japan, he had gone a few years ago. He offered a photograph and so I handed my camera to him!

Photobucket

Always follow the yellow  or blue trail markers for the marked trail. The White  trail markers are for the Appalachian Trail and you would use that when going to the other cliffs as noted above. 

Photobucket

This bird was sitting there next to me on the rock with the wind ruffling it's feathers. Paid no mind to me at all, it might have been scared of the large vultures and hawks in the skies there at the cliffs. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment