Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nishi Hongan-ji Temple (Western Temple of the Original Vow) - Kyoto, Japan

This was a great temple to stop by at and it is near Kyoto Station!
This is the Tempe of the Western Vow which is one of the two sub temples of the complex of Judo Shinshu in Kyoto with the other being Higashi Hongan-ji Temple. You can see that post here
It was established in 1602 by a Shogun and it was split into two temples to lessen the power. It also happen to be a UNESCO site. This one is older then the other was well.

This temple was so much fun to view...


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket 
You can walk around the temple and see lots of great architecture! 

Photobucket

There is even a shallow moat that is around the grounds siding the streets but there was no water within it

Photobucket

That is a long gutter spout!

Photobucket

Even business men stop by during the day to pay respects and prayers

Photobucket

This has got to be one of the oldest and widest Ginko trees I have ever seen!

Photobucket

It is amazing how well the structure is kept, I was glad that it wasn't under construction like Higashi Hongan-ji temple was

Photobucket

Large wooden doors, I still get impressed every time I see the wooden doors on some of the temples!

Photobucket

I saw a monk rushing and I took a photo right when his head looks like the bell!

Photobucket

Not to far from Kyoto Tower and the Station

Photobucket

The boards squeak when you walk on them. they call it the Nightingale floor to alert if there is someone sneaking around the building.

Photobucket

The golden lanterns along the walk way have a dragon underneath with glaring eyes!

Photobucket Photobucket

For once there wasn't a sign that said no photography and I saw a few Japanese people taking pictures so I decided to get some! the inside is magnificent!

Photobucket

I sat for a while relaxing my feet and admiring the walls...

Photobucket Photobucket

This is built next to it and inside is a gift shop and I think a cafe. It looks like part of the temple but the walls are glass and the beams are some type of metal

Photobucket
info from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment