Thursday, June 20, 2013

Eikan-do Zenrin-ji temple - Kyoto, Japan

Eikan-do Zenrin-ji is the head temple of the Seizan branch in the Jodo-shu sect of Buddhism. It is in Kyoto's Sakyo-ku in the town of Eikando. Eikan-do means "View of Eternity Hall and Zenrin-ji means "Temple of Forest of Zen". Kukai's Pupil Shinsho wanted to found a temple where he can worship Five Wisdom Buddhas, Goshi Nyorai, in 853. He got some land and couldn't build it for 10 years because of the band on temple building at the time. It was originally for the Shingon sect but shifted to the Jodo-shu. There is a Amida Buddha statue on the grounds that made this place famous. Usually Buddha looks forward but this statue looks over it's shoulder.
This was one of my favorite temples to see. It was on the day  that I walked the Philosophers path and truley had one of my best days in my life. I hope you enjoy the photographs!


Photobucket

My Ticket and information!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

There was a lovely sign for me to see so I knew where I could park my bike. This temple was somewhat next to Nanzen-ji and I thin that might have been the reason why this temple was so calm. There was so much less traffic in here then the others that day.

Photobucket

I love these rings that come off the side or corners of buildings. It is for a vertical waterfall when it rains. The running water would follow this down to the ground.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I really loved the atmosphere of this temple...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

There were a few dry and wet gardens within between the halls.

Photobucket

This was a good use I thought of the fine gravel showing a stream moving between the larger rocks and moss...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This guy was in front of my lot of the way and he was taking all the pictures with his iPad which I guess is a way to go hehe

Photobucket Photobucket

This color on the end of this building was interesting. It reminded me of the colors that Native American's use on their totem poles...

Photobucket

There was a little cemetery there off to the side.

Photobucket Photobucket

There is a stair case that literally snakes it's way up the side of the mountain. On the way I came across a spring of some nature. Suikinkutsu is a sounds ornament and you use the ladle to pour water in to the bowl and it makes a low sound, that of a Japanese harp would make. Was interesting!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This is a famous temple to see a lot of Maple Leaves change in the autumn. I bet it is truly gorgeous.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The stair case that winds up the side of the mountain will take you to the Tahoto which is a pagoda. It was currently built in 1928. You can get a view of the grounds and also Kyoto down below.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The Hojo pond has a small shrine in the middle on an island. All the temples streams that wind through the grounds merge at this pond.

Photobucket Photobucket

It gives a pleasing feeling...

Photobucket

You can also stop for some Matcha and sit and enjoy the view.

Photobucket

Thanks for taking a look at my travels. This might be the last temple that I have to show or Shrine for that matter. My info came from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment