Friday, June 7, 2013

Kōtō-in Temple of Daitoku-ji Temple in Kyoto

Wow it has been exactly a year since I got back from my trip to Japan. Sorry that it has taken to long to post all of these and there isn't to much after this. I absolutely loved this small temple. I never got in but it just had an atmosphere about it that truly moved me and so I went back to it quite a bit since it was a walk from where I stayed. It was built in 1601 by Hosokawa Tadaoki and he actually rests there and the founder of kabuki (Izumo no Okuni). It is within the Daitoku-ji temple complex. It is really famous for it's maple trees. It also has fantastic moss all around the temple area. 

I love the entrance which has the rock foot path with a bamboo railing along it. Moss was lined down it

Photobucket
The trees and bushes are all cut and pruned to perfection to keep your mind at ease as you walk through. 

Photobucket

The green moss that carpet the ground just takes my breath away.

Photobucket

Right out there is where you can walk in from one of the main foot paths of Daitoku-ji.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I wish that I could have gotten into the temple and not just the footpath.

Photobucket

I hope perhaps that I can get there in the fall to see the maples and moss compose a serene look.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

There was a kitty that was hanging out on the gate one day that I came by.

Photobucket

Info from japan-guide

No comments:

Post a Comment