Wednesday, January 2, 2013

SamShio's 2012 Year in Review!

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to officially say Happy New year and I know I'm almost 48 hours late on that one! I wanted to talk about my past year and what I hope for in the year to come. Also talk about my most popular post by views for fun!
This was a MASSIVE year for me, lots of changes and lots of new brought into my life. In the Winter and Spring I finished up my last semester as a undergrad at school and graduated into the real world. This was such a big step as my schooling is over and more opportunities have opened for me to do what I want with my life. My family was proud of me and I of myself to finish what I thought would take longer since I started at Community college. Only down side about it is that I have yet found a permanent full-time career job for me to start up and that is a massive goal for this year. Looking for those types of jobs is hard especially for the others looking in the job market. I am glad that I have a foot in the door with all the experience that I have from what I have done in my internship and working as a contractor. I look forward to getting a job and stepping up to the next part of my journey.
Right after I graduated I proceeded to complete one of my life goals which is now a goal again. My trip to Japan. I had wanted to go so bad and I was excited when I booked that ticket and I went for 22 days alone to a place so foreign to me and far from home. It was the best experience and most fun I have had ever. The culture is truly rich and I want to go back and see the friends that I made again. There was a lot of places that were left up visited and I want to see again and perhaps again. I came back something new but without that job and something to drive my passion like travel I seam to have lost my way and settled back into old habits. This is something that I want to change and that is why I want that job and so I can travel again.
I had a great relaxing summer but perhaps to relaxing as I had some work here and there. I did manage to get out and do a lot of things that I hope I can this year. I plan to travel to not just other places around the world in my life but I hope to start going to those places that I have yet seen in my own back yard; Virginia.
I ended a long relationship that I had and it truly was the best thing for both of us. I could tell we were not happy and one of us had to say something  When I got back from Japan I had the courage to say how I felt and for us to move on.
I started working as  server in a bowling alley, an interesting job and you meet a lot of interesting characters indeed. Some are good nights, others not so much. Lots of nice people and I am glad that it is helping me get along with some money while I search.
I hope to better my photography skills, I have been using manual mode a lot now and really trying to understand exposure and what is right to use in what settings. I would like to try more night photography and maybe long exposure but I need to get to the city for that. I hope to get better about street photography and not be nervous about it too. I also hope to increase the base for my site and maybe work on a more professional feel to it and maybe start a portfolio.
At the end of October I kinda confessed to a girl that I sort of liked for a long time. The first time I say her was at my retail job way back in Spring 2007. We both enjoy food and she is a culinary student. We decided to cook together one day because I brag about some of my food and later on I just said screw it and kissed her. Was the best decision I made all year (equal to going to Japan). It has been such a great relationship and I am really happy with her and my goal is to make her happy as long as possible.
More below ...



Now for my top 10 posts this year!
(click pictures to view the posts)
1. My Katsucon 2012 Photo report


2. Grand Illumination in 2011 (but posted in 2012 haha)


3. Katsucon World Cosplay Summit North America 2012 Preliminaries

4. Apparently ranking 4 is my post "Trees and Moss"


5.Studio Ghibli Museam - Mitaka, Toyko.


6. Life Size Gundam in Odaiba, Tokyo


7. 52nd Annual Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival in D.C.

8. Tokyo Banana

9. Bleeding Heart Flower (Lamprocapnos spectabilis)

10. Cherry Blossoms of Maymont

Thanks for sticking with me through 2012, glad that it all didn't end on December 21st! I hope to bring more great content this coming year and more places to travel and not a ton more pictures of Maymont haha.
also hope everyone had a fantastic Holiday/Holidays!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment