Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Lights of Richmond (Omni Hotel & James Center)

Hey everyone, it has been way to late for this post so I am sorry for that!
I haven't done a photo post, like a real photo post in a while and I will work on the Longwood Garden's photos to get those up as well soon.

For now, I will get these up for you to view since it has been overdue indeed!
So every year in Richmond we have a "Grand Illumination" of the lights that run along the side and edges of a lot of the tall buildings down in the city. Also around the James Center 1, 2 & 3 and the Omni Hotel they have festive like things with a large Christmas tree (not actually living tree), reindeer all around and inside there are a few things that are Christmas themed.

I went the first time down there the Tuesday before Christmas with my girl friend. Her first time to the lights was the previous year with my family and she loved it so of course we were going to go this year. My first time going with out the family but it was nice romantic evening with her. Was chilly so it was hard to take photos :P



I also went Christmas Eve with my family, a family friend and one of my friends. They didn't have anyone to spend the night with and my mother asked her friend and I asked my friend to join us for dinner and some time in the city. They enjoyed coming with us and I am not sure if my friend had gone to see the lights before but it was a nice evening :) I took care of his cat about a week when he left in the morning. He had a flight to Florida on Christmas since his mother was getting married on the 26th!



This was also the first time to really use my new camera outside at night and trying to capture pictures of lighting (also in the chill cold brrr)

Every year my family and I try to find Rudolph since it is hard to find him and we make it a game. This year he was right there at the corner (Cary and 10th) and could easily be seen from the street so there was no game trying to find it since we pointed it out before I even parked haha.



It was nice that there was snow on the ground here and there. It actually snowed on Christmas this year and was fantastic! Love the snow and what it brings. Puts the birds in a frenzy in the woods!






In the Omni Hotel area inside there is a drop box to drop your letters off for Santa to read. Of course you write what you want and drop it in. He will read it and check his list to see if you have been good and will decide if you get it :P

In the James Center 2/Omni Hotel, they have this fountain and like a water pool thing that loops around a good part indoors and they have it themed with penguins and Eskimos fishing and such.




Around the other side they have a pile of presents and the foot of these large Nut Crackers. I wonder where they store these giants. They could crack open heads they are so big.



Anyone see the Nut Cracker at the Richmond Ballet? They have it every year! I never saw it with the Richmond Ballet but at my High school that I went to long ago. It was by like a local group or dance company.



The rest of the Omni, lots of people that came in used the Starbucks to get some expensive tasty coffee products to warm up.


The Christmas tree that they use is the same every year, part of the top this year though a section of the lights were out >_> bummer haha.




They have lots of reindeer out to take photos of and walk around. Lots of family's bring their kids down to get photos. I saw children running around with some hot coco from a street vendor that was also selling glow sticks.







Also music from a guy off Cary Street playing Christmas music from his Saxophone. Sure set the mood with my darling.




I also saw others like couples in there late 20s or a father and daughter that was in her mid 20's.


All was lovely, and enjoyable.

In the James Center 1, a man (or could be a local club) sets up a train set, and a nice one at that.




It is a nice train set with multiple trains, different settings and buildings.






Every year it is there, although on Christmas Eve it was running and there was just the security guard who was in the building haha. I hope he got to spend time with some family or friends that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment