Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Turkey Point Lighthouse

So when I was at my grandparents painting their house last month I walked to Turkey Point Light house which is in Elk Neck State Park in Cecil County, Maryland.
Below is the map of where you can find the Light house!

View Larger Map

So the actual light house is on a 100 foot cliff out on a peninsula. It is a nice walk and I do love it every single time. 
Photobucket

That is my nani below walking ahead of me. She is all set with her fanny pack and her epi pen. She likes being active. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So  this light house has been here for a while but the original house that the light keeper lived in is long gone now. There use to be fields out here so they could grow food for themselves and such and you can find wild plants that were once part of the farm.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I took my time machine and went back about 100 years to grab a photo of the dirt road that they had to come in on. Almost looks the same, all over grown. 
Photobucket

Lots of green. There are large vines in these woods and reminds me of a prehistoric time of dinosaurs. I love it honestly, I love to see a dense forest every once in a while. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

There is a large field out there on the walk that a lot of bird watchers go to view. That day there was a deer!
Photobucket

Down the road at the bottom of a gully there was a fawn still whit some white spots on her. 
Photobucket

There is a on of things I love about nature. Even snarled up trees in the cover of thick vines. How the tree wants out but the vines wont let go, it is all to interesting to me and grabs my attention way to easily haha.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There is a lot of wild life out here and there are a lot of butterfly bushes and plants that attract them.
Photobucket

So they have been working on restoring a lot of the light house parts. A lot of it was torn up because of looters and such but now it is being watched and put back together. I knew the guy that put the wooden spiral stair case inside and did a fantastic job at replacing it.  
Photobucket

Photobucket

It has a great look out down the bay from where it stands up on the bluffs. Boats can see it for miles and miles.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So if you are in the area, you should take a stop by the Turkey Point Light house. IT isn't that long of a walk and if I lived near by I'd go quite often probably but I am 3.6 hours away haha so I wont be gong back anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment