Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Daitoku-ji Temple in Kyoto, Japan

So it has been almost a year since I went to Japan, and one of the first places that I went to was Daitoku-ji which is in Kita-ku. Kita-ku was where I stayed at in a home so it was just a walk away! Daitoku-ji is a huge temple complex with more sub temples within its walls. It is part of the Rinzai sect of Buddhism and founded in 1319. It received a lot of damage during the Onin Wars but came back fine. It was also know for  mastery of the Japanese Tea Ceremony. It is a great place to just cut through on the way home or to spend some time and check out the smaller temples inside. Anyways, take a look!

I took this path quite a few times after I past Imamiya jinga... 

Photobucket


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket 

This was one of my favorite temples that I have checked out there, Koto-in.

Photobucket Photobucket

There were quite a few street/temple kitties that would have cat food placed out for them. They were nice, especially the one on the right.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

There were usually signs in front of temples before you can enter them saying take your shoes off and place them in the cubicles before you go in.

Photobucket

The grounds look fantastic.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some monks were walking around the grounds in formal wear.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I loved all the little gems that are scattered throughout the complex. You just have to explore all around.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I followed this little path that went around the sides of a temple. I bet I couldn't find it again if I tried.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Love a bamboo fence like this!

Photobucket

I am thinking that this is the main entrance to the temple since more people were pouring in from  this gate.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Go if you can!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures. I really like the warm photo filter in the pictures.

    I have yet to process mine, have been so busy with uni its not funny :(

    anyway great plce with many mini temples too, can be expensive but worthwhile if you have time in kytoto, highlight was when I got invited to a tea ceremony.. had absolutely no idea what to do lol but the lady thaught me was very polite... awww japan!

    ReplyDelete